I am always on the hunt for different activities in the DMV that doesn't necessarily involve going out to brunch or dinner, and with Valentine's day around the corner, I wanted to share my list of fun activities/places to go to in the DMV.
1. Dumbarton Oaks Gardens- Transports you to a grand garden that you would expect to see at the Palace of Versailles. The garden is peaceful, whimsical, and gorgeous, and even though it's just blocks away from the hustle and bustle of M Street, this historic country house and garden feels eons away.
2. Pottery Class at Visarts - I took a beginner's pottery class at Visarts last year and enjoyed the class. I made a halfway decent bowl and tried my hands at something new, so all in all, I had a pretty successful night. The class is on Groupon for $25, so this would be the perfect Valentine's day date night that deviates from the norm.
3. Spin DC – Spin is a ping pong bar and restaurant. Surprisingly I had a lot of fun playing pin pong when I visited even though I was completely horrible at it. I would highly recommend checking out SPIN if you want to shake up your weekend.
4. Wonderfly Arena - Wonderfly Arena is an indoor sports and entertainment facility that offers a plethora of games and activities that are not only kids friendly but serves as the perfect fun land for adults. To find out more about the games offered at Wonderfly Arena, check out my review here.
5. Drag Brunch – I've never been to a drag brunch, but who doesn't want to see a performance with some provocative dancing, while you eat ? Perry's drag brunch would be the perfect spot to visit for your first drag brunch experience.
6. 5 Wits -5 WITS is a real-life, hands-on adventure game across multiple rooms in which guests play an active part in a storyline. Throughout their adventure, guests will be faced with puzzles, games, and challenges, and their successes and failures will have a direct impact on the ending they receive. To find out more about 5 Wits read my review here.
7. Throw Social - Throw Social is the perfect spot to have a good time with a group of friends. The venue has five curling rinks and six FootBowl (soccer + bowling) ranges, while the ambiance transports you to Miami beach, which is perfect during these cold months. Kick Axe Throwing is located on the bottom floor, so you don't have to travel far to experience ax throwing, footbowl, and iceless curling all in the same night. Bar bites and drinks are available, so Throw social would also be an option for your Valentine's Day Date night.
8. The Trapeze School New York's – Offers flying trapeze classes that will bring out the daredevil in you, while you're doing something unique and exciting and for only $60.
9. Drag Brunch – I've never been to a drag brunch, but who doesn't want to see a performance with some provocative dancing, while you eat ? Perry's drag brunch would be the perfect spot to visit for your first drag brunch experience.
10. Artechouse - Of course, something art-related is on the list. Arthouse incorporates technology with art in an interactive fashion. Tickets are reasonable, plus cocktail drinks are available based on the theme of the exhibit. The newest exhibit is called FUTURE SKETCHES by Zach Lieberman. Check out my review here.
10. Maryland Renaissance Festival – The Renaissance festival is a fair located in Maryland that replicates a 16-th century English village. The set up is quite elaborate, and the city is surprisingly big. I went the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed myself. While this is a seasonal event that runs through August – October, I would highly recommend checking it out this year.
11. Cooking Class at Sur la Table - Taking a cooking class with your partner would be a fun activity even if you're already a chef in the kitchen. You can use this opportunity to make a dish that you would typically not make, and the date would be interactive and fun. Sur la Table offers a variety of classes that focuses on different cuisines at an affordable price.