The DMV Rooftop Guide
It’s finally getting warm, which means that it is rooftop season. Chilling with my friends on a rooftop is my favorite thing to do in the city, and below I have curated a list of spots that I believe are worth checking out.
• El Techo - Dubbed an adult tree house El Techo aesthetic is bohemian and is surprisingly more aesthetically pleasing in the winter vs. the spring or summer. If you are planning to check out the cherry blossom popup pub, then I would highly suggest checking out El Techo in the same trip since it’s located a block away. They have fantastic tacos, and the drinks are always on point.
(photo cred : El Techo IG )
• Colada Coffee Shop – The rooftop is on the smaller side, but it’s the perfect place to get empanadas ( seriously they’re the best ones I have ever eaten ) or an adult Capri sun. The coffee shop is located on U street and is my go-to spot whenever I’m in the area.
(photo cred : washington magazine)
• Officina - Officina is an Italian restaurant located at the Wharf that I finally got to check out last week. The rooftop is beyond gorgeous and huge. They have a fire pit, which makes it the perfect place to have drinks. The food was excellent also, so expect a blog post soon.
(photo cred : Officina IG )
• City Perch - Admittedly, I do not dine as often as I would like to in the Maryland area, but one of my go-to spots is City Perch, which also boasts a fire pit. If you’re looking to impress a friend without breaking the bank, then I would highly suggest checking City Perch out. I reviewed dinner and brunch there, which can be found here and here.
• Wild Days Rooftop Bar –Wild Days is located on the rooftop of the Eaton hotel, and I recently did a blog post on my dining experience at their resident restaurant American Son. The rooftop is a greenhouse oasis and offers plenty of seating options with a fire pit. It seems that the secret is out about Wild Days because I went last week Saturday night, but the line was long. Eventually, I got in and enjoyed a great night by the fire pit, so if you haven’t been yet, I would highly recommend adding to the list.
• Earls Kitchen and Bar - If you’re looking for a beautiful rooftop in the VA area then I would suggest checking out Earls Kitchen. I haven’t been myself, but based on reviews I’ve read and pictures it’s on my agenda to visit sooner rather than later.
• POV – I have not been to POV, but I have heard from multiple people that the view is to die for. It’s on my agenda to visit this summer.
• Whiskey Charlie – Whiskey Charlie is located at the wharf and also has a firepit (lol do you see a theme going on here ?). You seriously cannot go wrong with the view and the drinks are moderately priced.
• The Pod – I would recommend grabbing a drink on The Pod rooftop if you’re in the Chinatown area for a show/game at the Capital One arena. Although the rooftop does not offer much of a view, the area is quite spacious and provides a different option than being stuck inside a bar.